Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One Year of CF Clinics

This one is for Jeb...

Hey Jeb. Once again I'm envisioning you reading this when you are older and kind of chuckling because of what your dear old mom is worrying about. Just you.

Anyway, it's been a year since we had our first CF visit with you medical team here in England. We pushed through the snow to get there today and waited and waited. I couldn't help but kind of listen (ok, eavesdrop) on what was happening next door. It's unusual to hear a dad at clinic, so I kind of assumed it was a new diagnosis. I was right. It made me see just how far we've come since your diagnosis.

First things first. A year ago, you were tiny - 9th percentile in weight. Today, you weighed in at 29 lbs even - just above the 50th percentile line. It's all those biscuits that you keep begging for. And, maybe your new found love of vegetables. Oh, and we bumped into the children's ward cleaning lady who remembers you from your first two visits. She said it was good not to see you this year. I agree. In fact, an antibiotic hasn't touched your lips since September. A record for you considering your brothers bringing home all kinds of germs from school and you being in nursery. Your sats have been consistently at 100...the lowest I've seen was 87. That was really bad, so I'm really happy. You are kind of a miracle to me. Not kind of. You are.

I also want to let you know that it's been hard to accept CF. And I want you to know that because I'm sure there will be times that you will have a hard time accepting it. It's ok to feel that way. But you do get through those times. I'm in a much better place this year and all I can see when I think about your future is a really happy boy being harassed by his older brothers. (Keep eating those vegetables so you can give it to them back.) There will be good times and bad times, Jeb. Remember the good, get rid of the bad. It's really of no use. I truly believe that CF will be cured, it just may take a bit of time to get there. Stay positive. I promise that I will be for both of us. I love you and know that you will do great things!

Sorry for being so sappy...Mummy x

No comments: