Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June Check-up

Today we went for another check-up with Jeb's CF team. It's been two months and Jeb has changed so much! Last time we were in he was just walking and did as he was told. This time was a little different. Jeb is into everything and won't sit still! As aggravating as it was to try to make him sit, my heart was beaming because it finally feels like he is a normal little boy who just happens to have CF.

Anyway, our appointment. Weight and height were the first things on the list. Weight came in at 24lbs 15 oz. We are now just over the 25th percentile mark. Height was 33 inches, also 25th. Our dietitian was back from maternity leave - our first time meeting. I was so glad that the old one was gone! She started a record for Jeb (should have been done in January) and she said something that stopped my worry about his weight - 'this is all genetic and has nothing to do with his CF. He wouldn't gain weight at all if CF was the issue.' This took so much weight off my shoulders. She said that he needs to stay at 25th - that is where he was born and based on his parents he will get tall, but just not right now. Phew...

Dr. Thompsen and team next. Jeb greeted them with a stinky diaper coupled with the "stink eye". His looks are mean! Slightly embarrassing, but they all thought it was funny. Anyway, his chest was clear, stats were fine and nothing to worry about other than the fact that he'll only sit for his physical therapy if he's watching Thomas or Top Gear (British car show). Dr. T. thought he was a bit young for Top Gear, but laughed and said to do whatever it takes.

It's been nearly 6 months since Jeb's final diagnosis of CF. We are in our routine and I guess this is "normal". Yet, I think of what it means daily and continue to hope and pray that this gene therapy that they are trialing over here will work and his daily routine will simply be taking a pill or a quick breathing treatment. I feel blessed that Jeb is on the milder end of the spectrum, especially as I sat in our room today and heard a child Jeb's age coughing so hard. Harder than I've ever heard Jeb cough. CF may only affect 30,000 people, but for those it affects, it affects hard. Please continue to pray not only for us, but for the other 29,999+ out there fighting to live a normal life.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. -Psalm 139:14

No comments: