Sunday, August 25, 2013

New Tests

The past few months have been a whirlwind.  Jeb's fundraiser was a huge success and Team Jeb raised $26,000 this year.  It's simply amazing and I'm not quite sure how it all happened, but I think a huge part of it may just be Jeb himself.  He continues to be a positive little boy who just loves people!
Team Jeb 2013
Anyway, right after the walk, we started packing up to move from Elmhurst to Elm Grove, WI.  Yes, another move.  The only thing I refused to move was Jeb's care - we were staying at Lurie Childrens' Hospital under the care of Dr. McColley and her awesome team.  We would just have to move offices to North Chicago.  However, because Jeb is turning 6, he has to make a yearly visit to the actual hospital for special lung function tests.

Really, an hour and a half drive isn't bad.  I mean, sometimes that is what it takes to get from Elmhurst to Chicago.  At least this time we were moving!  The hospital is amazing and we were all in awe of the beauty of this shiny new hospital.  Until we reached clinic.  Jeb was taken not by Nurse Maureen, but by Fernando.  He must have really been nervous of change because he spoke up to ask where in the world Tony was.  Fernando was taken by surprise and said they usually don't get requests, but he would get Tony.  And minutes later, the door opened and out came a man who bears a striking resemblance to Santa - Tony, our lung function administrator for the past year.

After Jeb sighed a huge sigh of relief, we went to the lung function room.  Wow, this was WAY better than the room in Westchester where we usually go!  And the test?  It was WAY more than blowing out candles on the computer screen.  Jeb could chose to blow up a hot air balloon, blow a bowling ball down the lane, or blow down the toaster lever to make the toast pop up (on the computer, of course!).  And these were just a few.  For a boy who loves games, this was all he needed to perform.  And that he did!  His lung function was 107%!  Wait, what?  Over 100%?  I know, I should have asked, but I forgot and had to google what it meant.  107% of predicted for his age.  Nurse Stacy said most 8 year olds can't do the test.  It helps when you have two old brothers to impress I guess!


And then we went to regular clinic, where once again we got the lecture on getting more calories.  Jeb lost a half a pound, BUT gained 1".  My argument didn't change their minds, so we are back to half and half on the cereal, whey protein in the oatmeal, and Ensure at every lunch.  I am predicting a 2 pound gain..fingers crossed. Note: 117.5 cm, 44lbs, 8.5 oz.

Overall, a great visit.  But, as we walked out into the crowded Chicago street and I breathed in the polluted air and exclaimed, "Ah, the city! Isn't this great boys?!"  All three looked and me and said, "We would rather be in the country.  We are going to be farmers."  And with that, my heart broke.

Take a look at some pics from our visit...

Quite the machine...just like a spaceship!

No comments: