Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Great Strides for a Cure 2012

Back in April, I got an email from the CF Foundation stating that it was time to start thinking about Great Strides.  This is a walk that is done all over the world in order to raise funds for research to find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. As I read the email and saw that the walk was June 2 in Chicago, I breathed a sigh of relief.  I had a month to procrastinate the fundraising.

I know, I know, I shouldn't feel that way, but there are a couple of reasons why.  The first is that I really don't like to ask for money.  Not sure how I ever managed a career in sales, but for some reason this is different.  The second reason for procrastination, was that whenever I have to write the letter/email I have to start thinking about this disease and that this is actually impacting my family.  Unlike most CF families who deal with pills every few hours or others who have permanent ports for medication, or worse yet, those in the hospitals waiting for lungs, we don't think much about CF.  Jeb is pretty healthy and besides his daily chest therapy (ie 'pats') and nebulizer, we just don't think about it.  And frankly, thinking about it makes me sad.  So, I procrastinate.

Well, May arrived and I knew that time was ticking.  So, I formulated an email, which was quickly proofed by Tom and I also created a video.  Since we have only been in Elmhurst 18 months, many people don't know about Jeb having CF, so in order to remain under the radar, I sent the email and video off on the morning that I was leaving to visit England.  I could just quickly pick the boys up and leave. No questions asked.

I sent it out too early.  The phone rang.  People stopped me at school.  People were crying and I didn't know why.  The video - http://youtu.be/JmXG6O-ajmg   I had no idea.  I was just honest about where we had been and where we wanted to go - to be normal and CF free.  And when I reached the UK and opened my email, my friends had pulled together a fundraiser to raise funds for CF, in Jeb's name.  I was speechless.

The party.  I always struggled in the back of my head with not doing enough for CF.  You see, it comes down to just wanting to ignore and pretend it's not there.  I don't know if that is healthy, but it works for us.  Anyway, I could never think of a good fundraiser.  Turns out all you need is a party.  And I have seven dear friends who pulled one together in 2 weeks time.  A dance floor, a dj, games, mexican food, etc.  It was fun and at the end of the night, the tally was $6,900 raised for CF.  I'll be honest, I was expecting $2,500 and I was blown away.  I was even more blown away by the outpouring of support by the people who were there from our school.  People I didn't even know. (I began introducing myself as "The Mother").  God put us in this town for a reason and I believe it's because of every one of those people with huge hearts.  Especially Jeb's Angels...
Me with Cathy, Lesley, Deanna, Michelle, Julie, Kate and Heather...so thankful to these ladies!

Then came the walk two weeks later.  I had no idea what to expect and I was nervous!  I wasn't sure who was coming, where exactly in Grant Park it was, etc, etc, etc!  But, after two days of rain and cold, we drove down early on a beautifully sunny Saturday morning, June 2 and found a great atmosphere with music, tents for the teams, and plenty of welcoming faces.

We all know that Saturdays are crazy and I was blown away that people would actually make their way downtown when there were so many other places they could be.  My brother and his family, along with my mom and Tom's parents drove down from MI.  (I get tears thinking about it).  And then there were our friends: The Baxas, the Johnsons (with three little kids!) and the Pittmans.  Tom's work  friends were there too.  It was quite the team and I so appreciate every step.  The water was beautiful to walk along for 3 miles.  And let me just put this in writing so I remember for next time.  Sorry Tom, Jeb needs a stroller!  He made his way from shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip, finally hitching rides on strollers with friends.

 Team Jeb!

 The walk along beautiful Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline.


Now, what we have been waiting for...the total.  $17,000!!!!!!!  It's amazing.  Someone asked how we got it, besides the fundraiser.  It was just a bunch of very giving people.  Some who know and love Jeb and some who just wanted to make a difference.  And they all have.  We are so close to a cure.  I know I will be telling a different story next year.  

But until then, if you are reading this and want to know what to do next, the answer is PRAY. Pray for the parents sitting by the hospital bed of their sick CF kid, pray for those waiting for lung transplants, pray for pregnant women who have just gotten positive CF results back for their babies, and most of all pray for a cure. 

Thanks to all who have given.  It's been an amazing and humbling experience for both Tom and myself.  You will never know how much you have impacted us...

No comments: